sábado, 3 de outubro de 2015

Third (fourth, fifth...) culture kids

"Brazilian? But how come you don't look brazilian?" they ask me, shocked and frustrated after realising any attempt to guess where I'm from is wrong. "And your english is very good! You don't talk like the other brazilians I know!". I nod and smile and briefly explain my family and how we function. Depending on the person's interest, I can go more to depth in explaining or not. 
To many people, it is strange the idea that people can not have one standard and stereotypical cultural origin. People who genuinely understand generally are those who have either spent a considerable time abroad, or people who have in fact been raised between two or more cultures. 
There is a particular name for people raised between cultures, Third Culture Kids. It's a term used to describe children whose families are from a first culture, but they live in a second culture - therefore, the child has a third culture, which involves both of the ones they have contact with. In 2013, 220 million third culture kids were estimated in the world. 
I wouldn't call myself a standard third culture kid because of being of the second generation on both sides of the family. Both grandparents on my mother's side are Northern Irish, whereas my grandfather on my father's side was swiss, and his wife was brazilian with portuguese and/or spanish roots somewhere far off. What this means is that my european cultures were slightly more diluted. This still didn't make growing up much easier. 
Firstly, though Brazil has many races, my very pale skin, blonde hair and green eyes still aren't treated as standard. But more than that, I always felt like this outsider trying to decode my friends and acquaintances, trying to live as though I were as normal as possible. Faking an accent in English, not talking about how my home was different, hardly ever having friends over. 
Our british side always regarded honesty very highly, and I was always told I shouldn't lie - but my blunt honesty from a very young age has over the years certainly hurt people I met. When I was told to be honest, I foolishly understood I ought to say what I was thinking.  What to me was 'being honest', to the brazilian culture was being rude. Instead of saying "We should go out some time to catch up and have some coffee" (aka, I do not have the intention to go out and meet you, but I don't want to be rude), I would say... I didn't think it would work out. I thought I was avoiding being deceitful, they thought I was being rude. No one was wrong or right, we wanted to communicate the same idea - we just said it in very different ways and thus couldn't understand each other.
Growing up, much energy had to be put into consciously trying to read expressions and micro expressions, body language and speech nuances to try to see when people understood in a different way than I meant something, and thus begun trying to shape the way I spoke to be understood. 
What I didn't know was that at that time I was trying to understand the cultural iceberg: 



Although inserted in the Brazilian culture lots of the time, I really only knew better the Brazilian surface culture (behaviour, language, some customs and traditions), while at home I was taught mostly the british and some of the swiss deep culture. I felt like a fake, because my surface and deep cultures, in many senses, were clashing cultures.

Brazil vs. Britain

Writing in this, I am going to describe my experience in my family that is a traditional christian Northern Irish family, so much here will not be according to other people's impressions of the current UK culture. Also, I love both cultures in different ways and am continually learning with them; I also understand that many people do not fit into the general stereotypes I will probably exaggerate here: my objective is to explain the different basis of each culture, rather than particular actions - and, obviously, people are people and the basis expresses itself uniquely in each household and human being. I hope I don't hurt any feelings, and if you disagree in any way, please give your point of view in the comments! I'll be delighted to hear more.

All the feels British and brazilians regard feelings in very, very different ways. Brazilians, like most latin cultures, regard feelings very highly and many of their decisions are many times governed by their feelings. If a brazilian is happy, they will laugh, if a brazilian is sad, they will cry, if a brazilian is angry they will argue. Music, soap operas, stories, all have fantastic examples of how important their feelings are, and showing them is definitely not an issue.
British are most definitely not like that. David Gilmour put it very eloquently in one of Pink Floyd's songs, Time: "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way". Well, that was how I was taught to live. If something hurts, you ignore it. If you want to cry, you just stop talking (and if you cry, do it behind closed doors without anyone EVER seeing you). If you are happy, don't go over the top. You have feelings. People don't have to know about them.

The british blues Maybe it's the grey skies, the rain, maybe british are just very good at hiding their feelings, but they seem to have this need to be slightly on the down side, it's like the mood baseline. On the other hand, brazilians are generally happy people, and I really admire that. They may not have food to eat, the government may be complete and absolute and utter - pardon my language, but I need this to get the point across - crap, but they are still happy people. Give them a pair of havaianas to be the 'goal posts', a ball (many times made of old socks), and they're happy. They smile a lot, and party even more - I still don't know why they party so much, but apparently, it's a big thing. There's always a reason for a big party, celebration, gathering and food (mostly deep fried, or packed with sugar, or better still, both). Let them watch a soccergame, and they're happy (as long as their team wins).

Tea or coffee? British tea and brazilian coffee are just the beginning of the differences in food between both countries. Brazilians cook with lots of oil and really (really) like their red meat - by the way, brazilian churrascos are fantastic. They also have lots of rice and beans - practically every meal. In britain, potatoes are the big deal in every shape and form. British food tends to be much more bland and to have less seasoning, brazilians like their peppers and seasoning.

Relationships The fact that Brazilians are very governed by their feelings means that this will affect their relationships a lot in good and in bad ways; they tend to be very warm and very touchy-feely - girls kiss cheeks of both guys and girls they meet, guys tend to shake hands or hug other guys (if they know each other very well). Sharing, being together and hugs are important. Couples have no issue with being exceedingly affectionate in public, to the point it gets awkward. Bus stops, subway stations, shopping centres, restaurants. You name it. Much french kissing goes on anywhere and everywhere. Even in restaurants, couples rather than sit in front of each other to look at each other as they talk, they tend to sit side by side to be closer physically.
This physical touch thing seems very alien to my home, by which I was surprised one day my granny just came and gave me a hug for no reason whatsoever. Also, Brazilian relationships tend to be very intense (varying swiftly between extreme love and extreme hatred), and even unfaithfulness is a big thing in relationships (I wonder how much this comes from the soap operas that often portray cheating on a spouse as a good thing, or how much the soap operas reflect the already existing culture); an example is the fact that the adultery website that was hacked had the highest concentration of people in a city signed up on it was in São Paulo. This shoots up divorce rates to 69%, whereas britain has a 47% divorce rate.

Say what you want to say Communication is very different in both cultures, as I described earlier. Brazilians seldom say what they mean, and will very rarely answer "No" to a question they have no intention ever saying "Yes" to. Also, honesty is not valued as highly as being "clever", "not hurting someone" or "being friendly". Meanwhile, the british culture is not necessarily concerned about being friendly to everyone, and are much clearer in saying this (as long as they do not relate to feelings). This can be hurtful to other cultures and perceived as rude.

Punctuality I was always taught to be punctual and was told making someone wait is disregarding their time and assuming your time is more important than theirs. Brazilians are almost always late, though its not done to offend anyone. If a party is scheduled to start at, say, seven o'clock, if you arrive at 8 you will be one of the first to arrive - most people will arrive an hour and a half to two hours late. People already assume it, and time is not a concern.

Proudly third cultured

I could list many other differences, but I think you get the point of what I'm saying - I was raised between two very different cultures and have had to learn a great deal. I wouldn't say it is better to not be a third culture child, in spite of the fact that there were some challenges I only came to recognise many years later. They are different ways of growing up and have their own benefits!
But the truth is that the benefits from being raised between multiple cultures are much greater than the issues coming from it. From very early on third culture children learn that there are multiple ways of seeing the world and interacting with it, and learn to try to read and respond adequately to people. Many times, we have to change the way we speak, but we (many times awkwardly) always try to be understood. We learn that the world is a vast place with many cultures.
Perhaps that is why it is so much easier to be friends with and have lasting relationships with people who also understand this and also are third culture kids - even if the first and second cultures are entirely different between the people. You don't really know what fitting in entirely is like, and thus know what it's like to not really have roots anywhere. It is like this secret world that both of you know, and can both explore together. It's the sudden realization of "You've been through that too??".

Therefore, the next time you ask "where someone is from", if they hesitate, know they aren't being cocky - it's just hard to explain a culture that is different from all others. We don't think we're better than anyone, it's just hard to be a citizen of a world only you and maybe half a dozen other people know. But I still think it's totally worth it!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário