There’s something about rivers and something about bridges that always get me. It’s like there’s this secret signature in my soul that makes me look at a river plundering on and feel like I have something in common with it, this silent bond of mutual understanding: always going somewhere, carrying bits and pieces from the past trying to get somewhere and not being really sure where ‘somewhere’ is.
I like rivers. But I can’t hold them.
I identify with them. And that’s why I am content to let them be rivers.
Some people are lakes, and are easily contained - and if you try to make them into a river, they will just dry up. Others are rivers, and if you try to contain them, pressure will build until it bursts. They need to find a sea to spill into, and lose themselves in. Others are rain that falls soft upon fields, silently but surely. Others are a mad storm that pours and then never comes back.
The thing is: each person is one way, and you can either take them how they are, or you can try to mould and shape them to what you want - but that’s robbing them of their identity, of what they are to be.
I like the idea that people are like water because we need water to live, and most of us is made from this exogenous molecule that is constantly being substituted in our bodies.
- An utterly unromantic digression -
Technically, the person you love most in the world is 72.8% water.
Love is letting the lake be a lake and a river be a river, and be content in doing so because you know that trying to make them into anything else would rob them of their identity. Sometimes, in love, more important than knowing when to hold on, is knowing when to let go. Let the river take its course.
“The beginning of love is the will to let those we love be perfectly themselves, the resolution not to twist them to fit our own image. If in loving them we do not love what they are, but only their potential likeness to ourselves, then we do not love them: we only love the reflection of ourselves we find in them” ― Thomas Merton, No Man Is an Island
I wish people were more like bridges and less like dams, that they would reach out rather than try to contain. That they would be there, but also let be. But then maybe that’s just me, trying to make a lake into a river.
Nenhum comentário:
Postar um comentário